Former Minister of Communications and Digital Economy, Professor Isa Pantami, has withdrawn from the All Progressives Congress (APC), governorship primary election in Gombe State, barely 24 hours before the scheduled exercise.
Pantami announced his withdrawal through a statement issued by Ibrahim Attahir on behalf of the Pantamiyya Movement.
The former minister, who submitted his nomination form at the APC national headquarters in Abuja on May 7, said his decision was based on alleged violations of the electoral process and failure by the party to comply with provisions of the Electoral Act 2026.
Earlier this month, the APC in Gombe State adopted Jamilu Gwamna as its consensus governorship candidate for the 2027 election.
However, the Pantamiyya Movement rejected the arrangement, arguing that it contravened the APC constitution, directives of the party’s national leadership and President Bola Tinubu’s position on transparent primaries.
Pantami had earlier described the consensus arrangement as a “coronation” that violated the provisions of the Electoral Act.
‘Electoral Act violated’
In the statement, Attahir said Pantami withdrew from the contest in protest against what he described as breaches of the Electoral Act 2026 and the absence of proper communication from the party ahead of the governorship primary.
According to him, several letters sent by Pantami’s legal representatives to party officials seeking clarification and critical information about the conduct of the direct primary election were ignored.
RELATED NEWS:
- 2027: Nasarawa APC Succession Battle Deepens as Ethnic Groups Reject Sule’s Endorsement, Ex-IGP Vows to Defeat Wadada
- APC Primaries: Tinubu Urges Unity, Consensus, Fairness Among Party Members
- APC Primaries Leave Political Heavyweights Bruised as Over 50 Reps Crash Out
The statement reads: “Despite his loyalty, he was repeatedly denied access to critical information. Letters sent by his solicitors to the various organs of the party requesting details and raising concerns about the forthcoming governorship direct primaries received no reply or acknowledgement.
“The requests were not granted, and the issues remain unresolved. In a democracy, the law must guide the process. Non-compliance with the Electoral Act 2026 and the party guidelines renders the exercise unsafe and illegitimate.”
‘No Actual Election Held during NASS Primaries’
The Pantamiyya Movement also alleged irregularities during the APC National Assembly primaries conducted in Gombe State on May 16 and 18.
According to the group, no genuine election took place during the exercise as aspirants and stakeholders were allegedly denied access to important details regarding the process.
“The people of Gombe State witnessed what transpired during the direct primary elections for the National Assembly held on 16 and 18 May 2026.
“The strength of Pantami lies in his massive grassroots support, particularly among women and youths. Unfortunately, in the recent direct primaries, grassroots members were sidelined,” the statement reads.
The group said Pantami decided to step down after consultations with stakeholders and supporters across the state.
“After extensive consultations with stakeholders and careful reflection on the developments in Gombe State, Prof. Pantami has taken the difficult decision to withdraw from the APC governorship primary election scheduled for 21 May 2026, under protest.
“Peaceful protest is a fundamental pillar of democracy,” the group stressed.
‘Tinubu’s Directive not Implemented’
The movement further claimed that President Bola Tinubu had directed that party primaries should be free, fair and credible, but alleged that such directives were not implemented in Gombe State.
According to the statement, Pantami repeatedly requested details concerning accreditation procedures, voting arrangements, collation centres and observer participation but received no response from the party.
“Even though President Bola Ahmed Tinubu insisted on the necessity of free, fair, and credible direct primaries, his directives were, unfortunately, not implemented.
“Prof. Pantami had requested details on the time and place for accreditation of agents and observers, the procedures for accreditation, voting, and collation, and the location of collation centres. This information should have been provided to all aspirants without being solicited. As of this moment, nothing has been provided,” the statement reads.
The movement also appreciated Pantami’s supporters for contributing funds used to purchase his expression of interest and nomination forms.
Rafiyat Sadiq is a political, justice, and human rights reporter with Pinnacle Daily, known for fearless reporting and impactful storytelling. At Pinnacle Daily, she brings clarity and depth to issues shaping governance, democracy, and the protection of citizens’ rights.

