The Tanimu Turak-led interim factional National Working Committee (NWC) of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) on Tuesday cleared former President Goodluck Jonathan run for president in the 2027 election.
The party, which screened 12 governorship aspirants for the 2027 elections, granted Jonathan automatic ticket, making him the party’s only confirmed presidential aspirant for now.
Chairman of the PDP interim screening committee and former Vice-President, Namadi Sambo, represented by former Niger State Governor Babangida Aliyu, disclosed this while addressing journalists after the screening exercise in Abuja.
According to Aliyu, Jonathan was granted a waiver from the screening process because of his extensive political experience, having served as deputy governor, governor, vice-president and president.
“The party had already given a presidential aspirant a waiver from screening. As I said in the beginning, he was deputy governor, became governor, became vice president, and became president, so we did not see anything that required screening.
“Therefore, the party granted him a waiver. In other words, he has been declared and cleared as the PDP candidate for the presidential election, and that is former President Goodluck Jonathan,” he said.
Aliyu also disclosed that former Oyo State Deputy Governor, Taofeek Arapaja, was granted a similar waiver.
According to him, Jonathan currently remains the only confirmed presidential aspirant of the party, while other aspirants are still undergoing screening.
Umar Sani Claims Jonathan Obtained Nomination Form
Earlier, former presidential aide and PDP chieftain, Umar Sani, alleged that Jonathan had already obtained the party’s presidential nomination form ahead of the 2027 election.
Sani, who served as Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity to former Vice-President Namadi Sambo, made the claim during an appearance on Trust TV.
His comments came amid growing political consultations involving the former president and increasing speculation about a possible return to active politics nearly 12 years after leaving office.
Although Jonathan has yet to formally declare his ambition or confirm the platform on which he may contest, Sani suggested that the lingering crisis within the PDP may be responsible for his cautious approach.
He dismissed suggestions that the PDP was merely trying to use Jonathan’s popularity to strengthen its political position.
“The issue is not about whether we will extract commitment from him. What is most important in politics is action.
“If your action suggests you are interested, there are certain actions to follow. One of which is the procurement of the nomination form.
“He has procured the nomination form. In fact, he is about to come and submit the forms publicly.”
Sani insisted that Jonathan remained the best option for the PDP at the moment.
“The fact of the matter is that we believe that Jonathan is the right choice at this moment,” he said.
PDP Chieftain Speaks On Eligibility Case
Sani also expressed confidence that legal questions surrounding Jonathan’s eligibility would not stop his participation in the race.
According to him, only the Supreme Court could reverse previous judicial decisions on the matter.
He stated that the case before Justice Peter Lifu would likely be dismissed when it comes up on May 26 because of lack of jurisdiction.
RELATED NEWS:
- Court Fixes May 26 to Rule on Jonathan’s Eligibility for 2027 Presidency
- Turaki-Led PDP to Screen Jonathan as Sole Presidential Aspirant Tuesday
- Jonathan’s 2027 Return Bid Sparks Political Tension, Revives Constitutional Debate
The PDP chieftain further argued that many Nigerians still feel emotionally connected to Jonathan because of memories of his administration.
“Most Nigerians know him and are nostalgic about Jonathan. At the time he left office, many people felt the PDP was not performing, but now Nigerians have seen the difference clearly,” he added.
2,122 Aspirants Undergoing Screening
Aliyu disclosed that aside from the presidential screening, the Turaki faction was screening aspirants for several elective offices across the country.
According to him, the party expects to screen 2,122 aspirants for state Houses of Assembly seats, 748 for the House of Representatives, 198 senatorial aspirants, 112 governorship aspirants and one presidential aspirant.
He added that aspirants from states including Taraba, Adamawa, Kano, Akwa Ibom and Delta had already appeared before the screening panel.
Supreme Court Judgment Deepens PDP Crisis
The latest development comes amid the leadership crisis rocking the PDP following the Supreme Court judgment delivered on April 30.
In a split 3-2 decision, the apex court invalidated the PDP national convention held in Ibadan on November 15 and 16, which produced a leadership headed by Tanimu Turaki.
The convention had the backing of Oyo State Governor Seyi Makinde.
Following the ruling, Chairman of the PDP Board of Trustees aligned with the Makinde faction, Adolphus Wabara, argued that the court’s position on the suspension of PDP National Secretary, Senator Samuel Anyanwu, and other issues meant the party currently lacked a legally recognised leadership structure.
Subsequently, the 103rd National Executive Committee meeting of the Makinde bloc approved a 13-member caretaker committee headed by Turaki to oversee the affairs of the party.
ADC Predicts Major Political Shake-Up
Reacting to Jonathan’s emergence, the African Democratic Congress (ADC), said the former president’s return to the presidential race could trigger major political realignments ahead of the 2027 election.
In a statement posted on its verified X handle, @ADCVANGUARD, the party described Jonathan’s possible candidacy as a development capable of changing political calculations across party lines.
According to the ADC, “Jonathan’s possible return will shake the PDP, disturb APC calculations, unsettle Labour Party sympathisers, and force every political camp to rethink strategy.”
The party added that Jonathan remained one of the few Nigerian politicians whose name still evokes strong emotions among citizens.
“Whether people like him or not, GEJ remains one of the few Nigerian politicians whose name still carries national emotion.
“Some remember him for peacefully conceding defeat. Others criticise his administration. But nobody can deny that his entrance into the race changes the conversation,” the party said.
‘Old Political Forces Returning’
The ADC further argued that Jonathan’s clearance by the PDP was a sign that major political blocs were preparing for a fierce contest ahead of 2027.
“The PDP screening committee clearing former President Goodluck Jonathan on waiver to contest the 2027 presidential election is not just another party headline.
“It is a political signal. It means one thing clearly: the old forces are returning to the battlefield, and every major bloc is now preparing for a serious national contest,” ADC stressed
The party also said Jonathan’s national appeal and moderate public image could create fresh challenges for President Bola Tinubu and the ruling APC amid growing public frustration over inflation, insecurity and the rising cost of living.
“For APC, this is another headache. Tinubu is already battling public anger over hardship, insecurity, inflation, and broken expectations.“Now imagine facing a former president with nostalgia value, a soft public image, and a familiar national network. That is not a small challenge,” the party said.
Rafiyat Sadiq is a political, justice, and human rights reporter with Pinnacle Daily, known for fearless reporting and impactful storytelling. At Pinnacle Daily, she brings clarity and depth to issues shaping governance, democracy, and the protection of citizens’ rights.

