Obi Emerges NDC Sole Presidential Aspirant as Kwankwaso Expresses Confidence in Getting VP Slot

The Nigeria Democratic Congress (NDC) has concluded the sale of Expression of Interest and Nomination Forms for its 2027 presidential race, with indications that former Labour Party presidential candidate, Peter Obi, is the only aspirant who purchased the form.

The party, however, announced a one-week extension for aspirants seeking governorship, Senate, House of Representatives, and State Assembly tickets.

Sources within the party disclosed yesterday that at the close of the presidential form sales, Obi, a former governor of Anambra State, remained the sole contender for the ticket.

NDC National Secretary, Ikenna Morgan Enekweizu, said the deadline, previously scheduled for 6 p.m. on Sunday, May 17, 2026, has now been shifted to midnight on Sunday, May 24, 2026.

According to the party, the extension applies only to aspirants contesting for governorship, Senate, House of Representatives, and State Assembly positions, while the sale of presidential forms has officially ended.

Under the timetable released by the party, screening of aspirants who purchased and completed the forms will begin on Tuesday, May 19, and end on Tuesday, May 26, 2026.

NDC Urges Members To Adhere To Guidelines

The NDC also stated that the collection and submission of nomination forms for aspirants who scale through screening will commence on May 20 and close on May 26, 2026.

The party warned that no further extension would be granted and urged all aspirants to comply strictly with the guidelines and timelines.

It directed aspirants to appear before screening and pre-qualification panels at designated centres nationwide with relevant documents, including educational certificates, birth certificate or declaration of age, passport photographs, voter’s card, NDC membership card, and curriculum vitae.

The statement added that all documents submitted to the Screening Committee must be provided in six copies.

RELATED NEWS:

 

The NDC said the screening exercise would consider factors such as the wishes of the electorate, local realities, competence, capacity and character of aspirants.

The party also instructed the Screening Committee to take into account its affirmative action policy for women, youths and persons living with disabilities.

It further encouraged aspirants to pursue consensus arrangements, stressing that only candidates cleared through the screening process would be eligible to obtain nomination forms.

With the latest development, Obi, who recently defected from the African Democratic Congress (ADC) to the NDC, is expected to emerge as the party’s consensus presidential candidate for the 2027 election.

Kwankwaso confident of securing NDC VP slot

Meanwhile, former Governor of Kano State, Rabiu Musa Kwankwaso, has expressed his confidence in getting the vice presidential slot in the NDC for the 2027 presidential election.

Kwankwaso, who spoke in an interview on Premier Radio, said the move will pave the way for Kano to produce a President in the near future.

“By God’s grace, the next election will be unlike anything that has ever happened in our state and country, especially if I secure the ticket and my name is on the ballot,” Kwankwaso stated.

He said Kano has not produced a vice president for the country since the First Republic, despite their struggles and active political participation.

“​Kano state will rightfully secure this position, which will open the door for our state to eventually produce the president of this country,” he added.

The former governor and lawmaker was the presidential candidate of the New Nigeria Peoples Party (NNPP) in the 2023 election. He recently moved to the NDC from the ADC.

While noting that the party has recorded mass registration of members from the South, Kwankwaso urged people from the north, especially the north-west, to make decisions they would not regret later.

The party had, during its national convention recently, agreed to zone the presidential ticket for the 2027 election to the South, maintaining that it will return to the North in 2031.

Website |  + posts

Rafiyat Sadiq is a political, justice, and human rights reporter with Pinnacle Daily, known for fearless reporting and impactful storytelling. At Pinnacle Daily, she brings clarity and depth to issues shaping governance, democracy, and the protection of citizens’ rights.

Pinnacle Daily Newsletter

Elevate Your News Experience Join Pinnacle Daily’s newsletter and receive exclusive content, deep dives, and the latest news from experts.