Court Fixes March 16 for DSS to Open Case Against Two Terrorist Group Commanders

Federal High Court Judges to Begin Christmas Vacation December 19

The Federal High Court in Abuja has fixed March 16, 2026, for the Department of State Services (DSS) to open its case against two alleged Ansaru leaders, Mahmud Usman and Abubakar Abba, over terrorism-related offences.

Justice Emeka Nwite adjourned the matter on Thursday after the defence counsel, Mr Bala Dakum, informed the court that he had not been granted access to the defendants to enable him prepare for trial.

However, when proceedings began, counsel to the DSS, Mr David Kaswe, told the court that the prosecution was ready to proceed and that its first witness, who was to testify under protective measures, was present.

Dakum, however, objected, stating that he had not met the defendants since taking over the case in October 2025.

“The defendants are new to me, and I only have the charge,” he said. “If the matter must proceed, I need access to them, or they should be transferred to a correctional facility.”

He subsequently applied for the interim transfer of the defendants to a correctional centre to allow the trial to move forward.

READ ALSO:

In response, Kaswe explained that the defendants were being held at the DSS headquarters, where an ongoing facility upgrade was taking place to ensure compliance with international best practices.

He said the upgrade had restricted access to detainees, including the defendants, until completion.

Justice Nwite expressed displeasure over the development, noting that the matter was fixed for trial commencement.

He said that despite sitting as a vacation judge and movement restrictions occasioned by the Armed Forces Remembrance Day, he made efforts to ensure the trial commenced.

“It is as if all the effort I am making is going nowhere,” the judge said.

Kaswe apologised to the court and sought an adjournment to enable the upgrade works to be completed.

The judge then invited the leader of the DSS operatives in court to clarify how long the upgrade would last.

Responding, the officer stated that he could not categorically state when the work would be completed, but added that it could be concluded by March or April, as it was being carried out in collaboration with international agencies.

READ ALSO: Fagbemi Reaffirms Swift Justice as Key in Nigeria’s Anti-Terror Strategy

Kaswe undertook that if the defence counsel was not granted access to the defendants before the next adjourned date, the court could order their transfer to a correctional facility.

He also reminded the court that the first defendant, Usman, had already been convicted and sentenced after pleading guilty to one of the 32 counts.

Defendants Entitled to Access Their Lawyer, Families

Dakum, however, insisted that the defendants were entitled to access to their lawyer and family members, noting that Usman had 19 children.

Justice Nwite subsequently adjourned the case until March 16 for the commencement of trial, taking into account the prosecution’s undertaking.

Justice Nwite had on September 11 convicted and sentenced Usman, also known as Abu Bara’a or Abbas Mukhtar, to 15 years’ imprisonment for illegal mining after he pleaded guilty to count 10 of the 32-count charge.

Usman and Abba, also known as Isah Adam or Mahmud Al-Nigeri, were alleged in the charge to have engaged in illegal mining of precious minerals, including Thunder and California stones, without authorisation from a lawful authority between 2015 and 2025.

While Usman pleaded guilty to the count, Abba pleaded not guilty to all the charges.

The two men, described as top commanders of Ansaru, an Al-Qaeda-linked group, were arraigned on a 32-count charge bordering on terrorism and related offences in suit No. FHC/ABJ/CR/464/2025.

The charge, dated September 4, was filed by the Director of Public Prosecutions on behalf of the Attorney-General of the Federation.

They were alleged to have aided and abetted terrorism between 2013 and 2015, conspired to form and lead the Jama’atu Ansarul Muslimeena Fii Bilaadis Sudan (Ansaru), and received training in weapons handling, explosives fabrication and war tactics from terrorist groups in Nigeria and Mali.

They were also accused of involvement in the 2022 attack on the Nigerian Army’s Wawa Cantonment in Kainji, Niger State.

Following their plea of not guilty, the court ordered their remand at the DSS facility in Abuja pending the conclusion of the trial.

Website |  + posts

Rafiyat Sadiq is a political, justice, and human rights reporter with Pinnacle Daily, known for fearless reporting and impactful storytelling. At Pinnacle Daily, she brings clarity and depth to issues shaping governance, democracy, and the protection of citizens’ rights.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *