Group Petitions IGP over Police Attack on Pinnacle Daily Editor, Demands Urgent Probe, Officers Arrest

A coalition of 30 civil society organisations and media houses has petitioned the Inspector-General of Police (IGP), Tunji Ditsu, demanding a thorough investigation into the brutal assault of Pinnacle Daily Editor, Mr Sunday Michael Ogwu, by police officers in the Federal Capital Territory.

The Coalition for Whistleblowers Protection and Press Freedom (CWPPF), condemned the attack on Mr. Ogwu, which occurred on Wednesday, August 19 during a demolition exercise in the Lugbe Federal Housing Estate area of Abuja.

Pinnacle Daily had reported that Mr. Ogwu was taking a walk when he encountered a joint demolition operation involving police operatives from the Lugbe Police Division and members of the Vigilante Group of Nigeria.

When Mr. Ogwu brought out his phone to document the exercise, officers forcibly seized the device. Despite identifying himself as a journalist and requesting to speak with the team leader, CSP Uchenna C., he was surrounded and ordered into a patrol van.

Upon refusing on the grounds he was performing his lawful duty, the officers, on the instruction of CSP Uchenna C., flogged him with an electric cable.

After his phone was returned and he was told to leave, Mr. Ogwu walked approximately 100 metres away to record a video and send a distress message to his organisation. When the police noticed he was recording again, they dragged him back to the demolition site where, on the explicit order of the DPO, he was subjected to a second round of assault.

READ ALSO:

The DPO was quoted as saying the first beating “was not enough,” resulting in physical injuries and severe damage to his phone.

The Coalition urged the IGP to order a transparent investigation, apprehend all perpetrators including the police officers and VGN members, and ensure they are held accountable.

“We urge the Nigerian Police Force to take all necessary measures to ensure that those responsible for this violation are held accountable,” part of the petition reads.

The group highlighted a pattern of attacks on journalists by security personnel, citing cases over the past year involving journalists from NTA, Media Room Hub, and Kano-based broadcaster Ibrahim Dan’uwa Rano.

The coalition is calling on the police to publicly condemn violence against journalists, educate personnel on the constitutional role of the press, and commit to providing adequate protection for media professionals.

The petition, signed by Busola Ajibola Deputy Director Journalism Program, Centre for Journalism Innovation and Development (CJID), on behalf of CWPPF, was copied to the Executive Secretary of the National Human Rights Commission, Anthony Okechukwu Ojukwu Esq.

Pinnacle Daily reports that the FCT Police Command, in a statement signed by its spokesperson, Josephine Adeh, issued on Friday, August 21, claimed that several invitations had been extended to Ogwu since August 19 to visit the command headquarters and make an official statement and present evidence concerning his claim.

However, Ogwu debunked the claim saying no formal invitation was extended to him by the FCT Police Command.

In an interview with ICIR, Ogwu said he only he had earlier contacted Adeh after he was directed to her by the command, to enquire when he could visit the FCT Police Command.

According to him, the FCT spokesperson proposed to meet with him at 1:30 pm on Thursday. However, he said he had to inform his lawyers to ensure they will be available at the scheduled time.

He expressed surprise that before he and his lawyers could reach Adeh for a time to visit, the command had issued its statement accusing him of refusing to honour invitations.

According to him, the first information he saw concerning a formal police invitation was the command’s press statement issued Friday afternoon alleging that several invitations had been extended to him.

These come amid growing calls for a through investigation into the incident and demand for accountability and justice.

Victor Ezeja, a journalist, and scholar
+ posts

Victor Ezeja is a Nigerian journalist skilled in producing insightful news analyses, feature stories, and interviews that simplify complex issues and drive informed public discourse. His work combines rigorous research, balanced reporting, and compelling storytelling to highlight developments shaping industries and society. Victor, who holds a Master's Degree in Mass Communication, specializes in energy, aviation, business, and economic reporting. He can be reached via @VICTOREZEJA on X

Pinnacle Daily Newsletter

Elevate Your News Experience Join Pinnacle Daily’s newsletter and receive exclusive content, deep dives, and the latest news from experts.